Hazmat crews stop Nitrogen leak at aerospace company

CASCADE, Mich. — Fire crews donned hazmat gear to stop a gas leak at GE Aviation Systems.

The leak started before 7 p.m. Friday night. Witnesses told FOX 17 of a heavy white gas billowing from a building near 33rd Street and Patterson Avenue.

Chief Adam Magers of the Cascade Township Fire Department said a crack in a pipe leading to a recently-filled tank of Nitrogen gas caused the leak. Nitrogen gas freezes when exposed to air, which locked up a valve for the 11,000-lb tank, exasperating the issue.

Hazmat were needed to enter the thick cloud of gas, thaw the valve, and shut off the flow through the pipe.

Nitrogen can be dangerous, causing asphyxiation at high-levels, but Chief Magers says there were no injuries and the area is safe to re-enter.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

1 Comment

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.